Character Analysis Mind Map with Mindomo of Beowulf and the Epic of Gilgamesh.
Create a visual map comparing two (2) of the characters from different pieces of literature read during the course. The purpose of this character analysis is to 1) encourage the reading, interpretation, and critical analysis of major works of world literature, and 2) demonstrate a proficiency in reading and analyzing literature.
The intent of a character analysis is to have you look beyond the obvious information provided by the author and make observations of a character’s behavior, motivation and role in the story. Mind mapping is a simple technique for drawing information in diagrams, instead of writing it in sentences. You will be creating this visual depiction of these characters using Mindomo which is an online mind mapping tool used to create, view and share mind maps in your Internet browser. If you have not done so by now, you need to create a free online account at http://www.mindomo.com/.
Task in Detail:
You will select two (2) different characters from two different pieces of literature that you have read this term. You will be creating a mind map that is a side-by-side comparison of the characters.
There are a few required elements in your mind map:
1. Name and image of each character with a note that includes information the author provides regarding the character’s physical appearance and a couple of sentences about who they are in the story in your own words.
2. Traits: A list of 3-5 personality traits, such as bitter, angry, selfish, kindhearted, weak, stubborn or heroic, for each character with a note that includes a quote that demonstrates that trait from the work.
3. Heroism: Indicate whether each character is a protagonist or antagonist and add a note with an explanation as to why you think so.
4. Change: Indicate whether each character is static or dynamic and add a note with at least two references from the work that demonstrate how they either changed or remained the same throughout the story.
5. Conflict: Indicate whether the conflict surrounding each character is an internal struggle or driven by external forces.
When you have completed the mind map, publish it to the web so that you can copy the URL and paste it here on your wiki page.
* The readings are attached. They are the Epic of Gilgamesh and Beowulf