Integrative Case 3.5 – TELIASONERA’S ALLIANCES AND ACQUISITIONS IN EURASIA
Case Discussion Questions
1. Many multinational companies fail in their expansion in emerging economies. What are the main capabilities and resources that drive TeliaSonera’s successful growth in Eurasia markets?
2. Given the institutional differences between European and Eurasia markets, what are the main challenges faced by TeliaSonera in Eurasia? Which strategies enable TeliaSonera to minimize the risks of these challenges?
3. How does TeliaSonera differentiate itself from its competitors in Eurasia?
Integrative Case 3.6 – CHINA MERCHANTS GROUP’S ACQUISITION OF THE NEWCASTLE PORT
1. Who are the main stakeholders in China Merchants Group’s acquisition of the Newcastle Port and what are their key interests and concerns in this acquisition?
2. What are the challenges facing large state-owned enterprises (SOEs) in their efforts to acquire strategic assets in foreign countries in comparison with those by private firms? What can SOEs do to deal with those challenges?
3. What are your recomme